Monday, October 27, 2014

Combine meditation and running?


  Maybe many of you have tried meditation on Yoga courses. It is a good relaxing method, not only quiet but also old-fashioned. Have you ever imagined to do meditation while running? You can have a try!

  Meditation is a mental condition that your mind is totally conscious but blank. Actually, our time every day is divided into two opposite parts. One is that you are sleeping but think of nothing, the other is that you are awake, but think of too much. So meditation is a condition that you are not sleeping but you are thinking of nothing.

  Yoga masters instruct learners that we can choose any positions we like, and running is among the them, and even a suggested one. When you are running, especially on a treadmill, it is easy and safe to concentrate your mind on your heart and your body, without any thoughts in your brain, since all of your attention and your and energy is paid to running and there is no more room for being bothered by trifles or any bad emotions such as feeling anxious, angry, nervous, frustrated. That is to say, you are occupied with running, which facilitate you to get into meditation, which is not easy to do. If you still find it hard, don’t worry. Start by counting your breaths and push things away gently.

  Trust me, the benefit you can take from meditation while running is beyond description. Researchers in neurology observed from MRI that the brain of a person who is in meditation is changing. Meditation can make their sympathetic nervous system inactive and thus to make them have a brain relax. And the best way to get rid of mental working is physical working. Besides, hospitals are bringing meditation while running to cure the patients with mental problems.



TIPS:
  
  The best time suggestions are before you go to bed in the evening and after you get up in the morning. It will give you a fresh head and an energetic body for the coming day and a high efficiency deep sleeping in the nights.

  Avoid streets. It is dangerous to do meditation while running when you are running on the street. Run on treadmill or in playground where no vehicles because your response or reactions to the outward world can be slow when you are in meditation.

  Start small.  Since it is hard to get in to real meditation, start small. Two minutes at the beginning is enough and after that you can make the time longer and longer when you try to move on .


  It is a new way to run, right? Why not have a try today?

3 comments:

  1. Do you think it would be better for a beginner to try meditating at home before trying to do it while running? I've never meditated before and I'm not sure if I could do both at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Maddie. Whenever I'm running on a tread mill, I have a tendency to keep checking the distance I ran and the speed I am at. Of course you must focus on breathing when running, but solely keeping your mind on your body, heart, and breaths is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you're talking about. When I run, I will get myself into a rhythm and pace, and I'll eventually space out and not think of anything. It's sometimes hard for me to do that when I know there are other people around watching, though. I think eliminating distractions is very important for meditative running.

    ReplyDelete